It's been so nice having Rob back home. Kyrie spent the night with her best friend the night before Rob came home so I could sneak in a bit of time with him. It was also going to be very early. I knew I'd be really emotional to see him so it was nice to be able to go myself. It turned out to be that his flight was coming at the same time as the daily flight from the Middle East with soldiers who were on break. There was a huge group of people there to meet them...probably250-300 people from a wide range of groups. They had youth soccer teams, the Red Hat ladies, bikers, veterans groups, etc. It was pretty wild. I ended up getting to see the soldiers all come through since they'd rightfully been put at the front of the line in customs. They had patriotic music playing and everyone cheering & hollering with signs and tons of flags waving everywhere. So nice.
Then, my favorite person came through. He'd never looked so good to me before or felt so nice to hug or smelled so good...and I usually think all three of those things. :-) I, of course, had a nice cry while laughing and hugging him. This is simply the price you pay for marrying someone who you would happily be around every single second...you go insane when they come back from being gone for 3 weeks. Ha, ha. We enjoyed the next week of having him all to ourselves since he'd taken the week off from work. He acclimated back to our time zone surprisingly well so that was really nice. We all enjoyed just hanging out, catching up on the new Stargates that had returned in their mid season while he was gone. It was just so nice to have him back home.
At the end of his week home on Friday, Rob & I went out to Leslie & Josh's to help them get the last of their packing done and get loaded up in the moving van. Kyrie went over to Terri's to hang with her and the Walker kids. It was a long day but it all went well. Josh & Rob had a particularly fun time working together which was good since they did it pretty late. I'd whanged my back pretty bad so I wasn't up for much moving and packing so I got entertaining-the-Grant duty. It went quite well. Now he is a particularly pleasant and happy baby but he was especially happy for me for a freakishly long amount of time that day. I loved it and it let Leslie work with very little interruption. Oh he was so sweet!!
After we got all finished up there, which did take all day but wasn't too bad at all, we drove back up to Anna. The whole Walker family spent the night at Terri & Tyler's house so we could all leave from there. It worked pretty well except for Tyler & Josh staying up until like 3 in the morning talking. Silly boys. Rob & Kyrie headed out around 10am or so driving the truck. (That would be Rob driving, Kyr providing the entertainment.) Leslie and Josh left some time later driving their two vehicles. I left around like 12:30 driving our van so we would have a way to get back home when it was all done.
Nobody ran into any problems other than slow people getting in front of me constantly which makes me just the teeniest, tiniest bit INSANE!! I'd never really been around any other part of San Antonio other than downtown where the Alamo is so this was all new to me. There are some really stunning areas. It looks quite different than I thought actually...lots more rocky stuff, canyons and the like. It was really cool. We drove by Six Flags Fiesta Texas which they live like 3 or 4 miles from. Woohoo!! The house they're renting is in a cute little neighborhood. I think the house will work nicely for them even though I'm sure they'd enjoy a little more room. So far, it seems like they have a good landlord so hopefully that will play out to be true in the long run.
It was fun to get to spend the weekend with them although it was too short. It was so strange that we weren't in the metroplex anymore. It was very strange to think that we were going to leave her house and have to drive 5-1/2 hours back to ours. I'm so glad she's not in New York anymore and that she didn't move to New Orleans but it's still hard to have her this far. We're thankful it's not more though. We look forward to seeing the whole gang on Memorial Day weekend.
So life is pretty much just settling into place now. Rob's back at work and glad to be there. It's nice to have him be at work and have that mean the same continent as the one I'm on. :-)
2 comments:
Man, I feel your pain. Lawrence is out of town for a solid week, and I miss him like crazy. Even though we're not married yet, we talk a minimum of three times a day, and it's hard going through the shakes and sweats of withdrawal.
You know, it's weird that I've lived in Texas all my life and been to San Antonio several times, but for some reason, I've yet to be able to get to the Alamo. Bizarre.
That's really cool about the soldiers. I didn't hear about that. Did you run up to them and introduce yourself as a spy? Did you tell them taht you do your part in protecting our country against the Canadian spies? Just curious.
Leslie didn't move. They were just joking. They are actually out living on your compost heap with the tarantula.
Love you! Oh, and I"ve never been to San Antonio OR the Alamo (at least not in my memory...maybe I"ve been there but it doesn't count since I was too little).
Post a Comment