Dec 8, 2007

Christmas Past

Today, as I let my mind wander (notice how I say that as if I had a choice), I thought about the nativity scene they did at our ward Christmas party last night. Unfortunately, I didn't feel up to going but I heard that it was very sweet. It reminded me of a Christmas party at church 5 years ago...of a sweet little family who acted the part of that First Family...of a beautiful little black-haired baby girl with sparkle in her eyes and spunk in her every move as well as a feeding tube down her nose and a scar on her chest from her newborn heart surgery a short time before her diagnosis of Fanconi Anemia. I remember her parents, carrying her in their arms past the congregation members as they made their way to the stage...seeing how they carried the immense weight of finding out their little girl would be with them far shorter than they would have ever imagined. It's odd to think how little we knew Emma then but there was no doubt of the vibrant and stunning spirit that little girl had. It's been 5 years since then and we've come to know the funny sense of humor, the acrobatics, the zest for life that she has; to see her become a toddler and now a little girl who is a big sister. I guess that as I reminisce a bit about our trip to Florida to join her Make-a-Wish trip, it reminds me so much of her shortened mortality and makes me more thankful for the time we have now. I'm so thankful to have Emma here with us as long as we can and so thankful for all that Christ did for us so that we know her sparkle will go on for always.
I hope all of you are enjoying the peace this Christmas season can bring. Sorry I'm so mushy today but sometimes it's just the way it goes. Thanks for inviting us to come along, Emma, my green-eyed princess! :-)

4 comments:

Charisse said...

Christmas is a wonderful time of the year. I love how you described Emma when she was first born and what a darling she is. Bless you heaps my love. I have not said hello for ages and longed to make contact. Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope your family is well.
I love you heaps,
Charisse

Charisse said...

Merry Christmas Siousxie,
I have been thinking about you lots and hoping that life has been going well. We are going much better now. Life is feeling very positive right now. I am excited about life.
May be we can catch up over email sometime?
Love Charisse

Charisse said...

Happy New Year my dear....hope you had a good one!
Love Charisse

Teresa said...

I'm SUCH a loser! I am just now checking people's blogs after weeks of not having time to read any (yeah, at 1am in the morning).

That is so sweet and made me cry! Thank you for loving Emma so much and being such a wonderful aunt. It was so much fun having you guys at Make-A-Wish. When you arrived, the fun REALLY started. You had such a fun, positive energy about you and it helped a lot (especially since TS was such a handful and I didn't know I was having the beginnings of morning sickness).

Thank you for all you do. You really are the best big sister anyone could have.

Love you...