Aug 14, 2011

Our Dream Anniversary in Lubbock

Ha, ha, ha!! Dream anything in Lubbock…oh, how I crack myself up! Okay, Lubbock isn’t worse than any other desert area really; I just really hate it all. Luckily, I was with my dear Robby and it was a business trip we made money off of. Cha-ching! Rob had to go out to do some maintenance on some machines for a company out in Lubbock.

We drove out on Wednesday afternoon after dropping Kyr & the doggies off at Rob’s sister’s house. Thanks again, Jay. We know what a burden Kyrie can be (what with her happy disposition & helpful nature and all). It was very interesting to drive out there and realized how SICK I am of pretty blue skies and fluffy white clouds. I mean, it sounds all pretty & tranquil but we were at about 30 days of over 100 degree days. I don’t like one day at that temperature!

We did stay at a nicer hotel than we usually would and had a pretty good laugh at the effect of a nicer hotel in a college town…or at least a college area of town. It definitely lessens the formality of such a location…and also lessens the amount of vacuuming behind the front desk and in parts of the foyer. The building had apparently been renovated in 2008…by drunk college students. Much of the repair work and painting was apparently for comedic effect. However, the a/c worked extremely well, the hand soap smelled really good, the sheets were very nice and the bed was pretty comfy.

We’d thought we’d do dinner and a movie but didn’t have time for a movie. We decided this after we realized they weren’t playing any movies we were interested in seeing. We asked the front desk for recommendations for somewhere with good fajitas. After being checked in by the clueless, friendly college students, I didn’t know that I wanted to trust their recommendation but what was the worst that could happen?

Cancun Mexican Restaurant is the worst that could happen. Okay, not the worst but way too close. Rob ordered delicious shrimp w/ citrus fruit & avocado slices. He received a huge platter covered in a deep layer of shredded lettuce which was hiding a small scoop of wet “seasoned” rice in the middle. The shrimp and citrus slices were quite tasty, though. I did not fare as well. I ordered delicious fajitas. I received not-delicious fajitas but I did get a lot of them…lots and lots of slowly pan sauteed, soggy, tasteless little pieces of beef (I assume) with some freshly microwaved, crusty, chewy tortillas. Good thing my dinner company was so darn cute!!

The next morning, Rob went into work for a little over an hour. I’d brought my Accuquilt machine to cut out my niece’s 8th-birthday blanket. Just as I finished, Rob called to say he was done so we headed back out. On our way home, we decided to try to pick up the capacitors we needed to fix Kyrie’s ceiling fan. Rob had noticed the company that sold them was based in Lubbock. He called to see if they had a store we could go to. He talked to the very nice lady who runs things & she said we could come on out…to her house where she works. It’s just funny/sweet to me how much people like Rob and how quickly they decide that since, at the beginning of the phone call, she wasn’t talking about him coming out there. It made a nice little stop before we headed back home.

It was a nice little trip and nice to spend time with Rob. It’s fun to be stuck in a car together for hours on end with nothing to do but talk (if I hide my iPhone). We also got a little giggle out of this semi:

IMG_0404

I love you, Robby boy. I’m so happy to be your wife for the last 19 years. Here’s the triple digits! (I mean, years married not outside temperature.)

3 comments:

S & C said...

Congrats to you two! You are a cute couple.

Jay said...

No problem. Your trouble-making kid did as well as I expected. ^_~

She can come over any time! She's awesome and we love her. :D

Laura said...

You are so cute! You had me laughing all the way through! Happy Anniversary! You're almost to 20 years (which by the way is still double digits... sorry to break it to you).

I also loved the post about Kyrie gettin' ready for the dance. She is just growin' up to be such a beautiful young lady!

Love you!