Nov 7, 2007

BAGPIPES ROCK!!

As many of you may know, I love me some bagpipes. For a very long time, my email address actually was "bagpipesrock" cuz they do. :-) Well, my favorite Celtic rock band, Seven Nations (aka 7N) finally came back to Texas and we got to go see them. We've missed them quite badly since we've been in Oregon. They did come once and did a show in a theatre there but we prefer the environment of the festivals. Anyway, we heard they were coming to the Austin Celtic Festival so we made plans to go. We ended up being joined by Rob's sis, Jay, and her hubby, Matt, who were also celebrating their 8th anniversary. Congrats!
Rob, Kyr, Ani & I drove down to San Antonio on Friday night to stay with Leslie's family. We enjoyed our day there. It hasn't been that long since we saw her babies but they still managed to get less baby. :-) It's both wonderful and horrible to see. Late that night, Matt & Jay arrived since they left after their work day. Jay stayed up until 3 am with the rest of us girls and we had lots of fun talking. I must say that I've been extremely lucky in my allotment of sisters, both blood and by marriage.
We left Saturday around lunch time to drive up to Austin. Matt & Jay had left earlier that morning and the Walkers came a bit after us. It was about a 90-minute drive to get there with lots of Seven Nations' music playing loud. The festival was at a park next to the lake by downtown Austin...very pretty with nice big trees. It's a fairly small festival as they go but it had a nice selection of shops of all kinds with lots of friendly people. It was a little hotter & sunnier than I care for (I know everyone's gasping with surprise) but it wasn't too bad. We all wandered about for a while until Seven Nations' show at 6:15. You can see in the pictures some of what we were doing.
Their show was awesome. I do forget how loud bagpipes are but boy was it fun. Ani & I ran up to the front where we were joined by Rob & Kyr. Rea & Hatty were up with us, dancing around like fools with us. Hatty went back after a bit but Rea was up there almost the whole show. I think there were only 2 people who were acting crazier and wilder than us...and they were drunk. :-) The songs were awesome and we fell in love with the band all over again. We're very anxious for their new album. If ya'll want to hear some, jump over to www.sevennations.com and they've got a bunch of samples.
We have pictures that show some of the fun, particularly when Rob, Ani & Kyr went for some picture taking after the show. We drove home to lots of loud singing with hoarse voices from screaming so loud at the concert. It was another fun late night and then we headed home Sunday morning. We left Ani there to visit until we go back to San Antonio in 2 weeks for our nephew's baptism. So much fun!!

2 comments:

Secret Agent Crazy-Person said...

It was AWESOME!!!!!! I loved it. My ears hurt for about an hour afterwards... :)

Teresa said...

Wish we could've gone! It sounds like you guys had so much fun!