Dec 25, 2008

Our Christmas Newsletter

2008ChristmasPic

I had hoped to get actual Christmas cards out this year but it just didn’t quite come together so you’ll just have to be satisfied with this now, won’t you? I thought I’d write you a glowing letter, complete with tales of how I’ve finally perfected my housecleaning, lost a bunch of weight, gotten my daughter into an early doctorate program with my amazing homeschooling skills and became independently wealthy through my craft skills (you know, crocheting baby hats and stuff). Then, I remembered how honesty is good so I guess I’ll just share what really happened.

Well, it all began in January...but I can’t remember that far back so I’ll consult my photos. January is the month that I accidentally shaved a bald stripe up the back of Rob’s head. Boy, was that a day of tears. You can check out the archives for details and photos. It’s not really the way you’d want to start your year.

Fortunately things got better. Rob’s job has been going well. With the economy slowdown, they’ve reduced bonuses and some people may have to relocate but we’re thankful to have it and that he loves it so much. He’s also seriously enjoying his calling at church. He works with the Young Men and really loves them. He’s been running a monthly role-playing game for some of his siblings so that’s a ton of fun.

I’ve continued working in Primary in the presidency. Those little kids are just so great. I definitely enjoy getting to have Terri in there too since this is the first time we’ve worked together in a calling. I’ve taken up digital scrapbooking. I haven’t done much but look forward to doing more. I’ve also had fun sewing baby blankets out of the 194 yards of flannel I bought from Joann’s after-Thanksgiving sale. I’ve had fun teaching astronomy at a small homeschool co-op Kyrie & I have been doing with my best friend and another mom we know. We’ve really enjoyed it. We plan on continuing for the rest of the school year and into the next one, at least.

Kyrie is loving the move from Primary into Young Women at church now that she’s 12!! I can definitely see the move forward in her taste in clothes, hair and now makeup (just a bit). She is definitely our beautiful girl who has a tendency to make people laugh really hard with her sharp sense of humor. Along with the small co-op we’ve been doing, she’ve been attending a larger co=-op with our whole homeschool group. It’s been a fun experience for her. She’s also began hauling in the dough with babysitting which she’s really enjoying. She’s saved up to pay for her half of figure-skating lessons that will start soon hopefully. She is a Doctor Who fanatic now in addiction to her interest in all things Star Wars & Stargate. She’s increasing her Converse collection so she’ll be prepared to dress like the Doctor at any given moment.

We’re very thankful to be where we are, doing what we’re doing, living the life we’re living. We feel blessed that we’ve been able to have many the interesting experience that taught us many the interesting lesson (i.e. always put guard on clippers before hair trimming) that have made our lives better (sometimes after making it worse for a while). We’re happy to be us and happy to know you. We hope things in your life are going fantastic and not more “interesting” than you can take.

With lots of love from the great Republic of Texas,

Rob, Siouxsie & Kyrie

3 comments:

Darilyn said...

I love your letter. I'm glad you are all so happy there.

Charisse said...

Merry Christmas, Siouxsie!
Your letter is beautiful. I remember with amusement the entry about Rob's hair. That was funny but also I can imagine how stressed you would feel about it :-)
Wow, so much has happened in one year, eh? Thank you for sharing all of that. Your little girl is becoming a little lady :-) I pray that 2009 holds great things for you guys :-)
Love Charisse

J D C and N said...

194 yards...really? That's really funny and cool though. :) Fun stuff!